About this course
Atropine for Myopia Management will enhance your knowledge and decision-making processes for prescribing. With a fast-moving research field, this interactive two-hour course will step you through an overview of the evidence-base including comparing atropine to other treatments and combination treatments.
This intensely practical content then takes you through patient pathways, prescribing considerations from contraindications to side effects to optical corrections to formulations, steps for parent communication and informed consent, and long-term management including tapering and cessation. This course will provide you the confidence and clinical structure for safe and effective prescribing of atropine for childhood myopia.
At the end of this course, you should feel confident to:
- Explain the clinical rationale for use of low-concentration atropine for myopia control
- Describe the efficacy evidence for various concentrations of topical atropine
- Communicate a simple comparison of atropine to optical myopia control treatments based on scientific evidence
- Explain patient pathways for prescribing atropine as a monotherapy or combination treatment in childhood myopia
- Discuss cautions for topical atropine use and likely frequency of side effects
- Describe key clinical steps in prescribing atropine, including communication with parents.
- AU: 2T CPD hours, self-recorded, T-therapeutic content
Dr Kate Gifford PhD
What you will learn
Ch 1: Introduction
Learn about the course content, navigate the platform and set your learning goals.
- All about atropine
- How to use this course
- Your continuing education
Ch 2: Background and Science of Atropine
Explore the back story and research outcomes of topical atropine for myopia control, including which concentration works best, comparisons and combinations.
- Atropine as a systemic drug
- Why use atropine to slow myopia progression
- Concentration: the highs and lows of adding more zeros
- Comparing atropine to other treatments
- Combining orthokeratology with atropine
- The ideal atropine drop
- Test your learning 1
Ch 3: Practical Prescribing of Topical Atropine
Build on your scientific knowledge with clinical guidance from patient selection, to cautions and side effects, to prescribing considerations and parent communication.
- Patient pathways and decision trees
- Contraindications and cautions for topical atropine prescribing
- Frequency of side effects
- Which optical correction is needed?
- Triple A for atropine prescribing
- Compounding and formulations: the knowns and unknowns
- Off-label prescribing and informed consent
- Long term management: Tapering and cessation
- Test your learning 2
Ch 4: Resources and Further Learning
Further support for clinical communication and your ongoing learning.
- Educating parents
- Myopia Profile Academy: explore your next learning journey
- Congratulations, you did it! Here's what's next
Clear, practical and interesting
I was very impressed by the clear and logical presentation of the latest evidence on the use of different atropine concentrations in myopia management. I will feel far more confident in my recommendations or otherwise of atropine for my young myopes.
I'll recommend it
Answered exactly what I wanted to know!
Perfectly pitched to answer my practical, clinical questions about how to care for the patients in my chair. Translated the research into immediately useful/applicable information.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is this course eligible for continuing professional educational credits?
This couse has achieved continuing accrediation in:
- AU: 2 hours 2T CPD hours, self-recorded, T-therapeutic content
On completion, we will provide a certificate to you for self-recorded continued professional development purposes, which includes the duration of the course and continuing accreditation details for specific countries. We will also provide post-course administration to accrediting bodies where required. Check your country's requirements regarding continuing education.
When does the course start and finish?
The course is available now and never ends! It is a self-paced online course - you decide when you start, and set your own pace.
How long do I have access to the course?
After enrolling you will have unlimited access to this course for as long as you like - across any and all devices you own.