About this course
Binocular Vision Fundamentals is an innovative, world first online course to refresh and upskill your knowledge and clinical skills in binocular vision (BV) diagnosis and management. In this course, you will be guided through 12 lessons, which start with a simplified two-system approach to BV assessment and diagnosis. Stepping through understanding of the accommodation and vergence systems, it covers clinical tests, diagnostic criteria, prescribing and management. Once this foundation is set, the course moves onto clinical communication and the importance of BV in myopia management. Always with a laser sharp focus on the clinical applications, participants are provided video examples of assessment techniques and chairside infographic summary downloads to reference in practice, as well as reflection questions and peer discussion opportunities, and multiple-choice questions to test your learning.
Dr Kate Gifford PhD
- UK: 6 hours, 6 CET points for Optometrists and Dispensing Opticians. C-100103, C-100104, C-100105, C-100106. C-
- AU: 6 self-recorded CPD hours
- NZ: 6 general points, ODOB course: 40203
- ZA: ODO004/03/04/2021 with 60 MCQs, Level 2 and 6 CEUs.
- US, CA: 6 hours COPE approved, Course ID: 68613-GO, Activity ID: 121145
- AU: 6 CPD hours, Event ID 90003557
What you will learn
Ch 1: Welcome to the course
- Welcome to Binocular Vision Fundamentals! Here's what you'll learn
- How to use this course
- Your continuing education
Ch 2: Why binocular vision matters
Understand the link between binocular vision disorders and patient symptoms, and relevance to myopia management.
- Part 1 - Why Binocular Vision Matters
- Reflection question 1
- Test your learning 1
Ch 3: The two system approach
A simplified approach to assessing vergence and accommodation function is described, underpinning the rest of the course. The clinical picture of a normal binocular vision system is also provided.
- Part 2 - The Two System Approach
- Reflection question 2
- Test your learning 2
Ch 4: Assessing vergence
This chapter explains and demonstrates techniques to assess horizontal heterophoria and fusional reserves at distance and near, and provides a clinical picture of normal vergence function to support diagnosis.
- Part 3 - Assessing Vergence
- Reflection question 3
- Test your learning 3
Ch 5: Assessing accommodation
This chapter explains and demonstrates techniques to assess accommodative lag and facility at near, and provides a clinical picture of normal accommodation function to support diagnosis.
- Part 4 - Assessing Accommodation
- Reflection question 4
- Test your learning 4
Ch 6: Accommodation and vergence interactions
The interaction between accommodation an vergence systems is described, from its mechanical basis to assessment of AC/A ratio at near using various techniques.
- Part 5 - Accommodation and Vergence Interactions
- Reflection question 5
- Test your learning 5
Ch 7: Mastering your retinoscope
The most valuable part of your binocular vision toolkit - retinoscopy - is explained and demonstrated to help you master distance and near free-space measurement techniques.
- Part 6 - Mastering your Retinoscope
- Reflection question 6
- Test your learning 6
Ch 8: Managing vergence problems
In this chapter, we establish management pathways for vergence disorders involving a variety of techniques including adds, prism prescribing and vision training.
- Part 7 - Managing Vergence Problems
- Reflection question 7
- Test your learning 7
Ch 9: Managing accommodation problems
In this chapter, we establish management pathways for accommodation disorders involving near adds and vision training techniques.
- Part 8 - Managing Accommodation Problems
- Reflection question 8
- Test your learning 8
Ch 10: Managing the two systems together
This chapter discusses complex cases of vergence and accommodation interaction, providing the framework for diagnosis and management of simultaneous disorders of both vergence and accommodation.
- Part 9 - Managing the Two Systems Together
- Reflection question 9
- Test your learning 9
Ch 11: Explaining BV to parents and patients
All of this new knowledge becomes clinically powerful when we can appropriately explain it to parents and patients. This chapter provides simple analogies and approaches to explaining complex clinical concepts in lay language.
- Part 10 - Explaining BV to Parents and Patients
- Reflection question 10
- Test your learning 10
Ch 12: BV and myopia control
Binocular vision is relevant to myopia risk identification, prescribing and outcomes. This chapter explains the key ‘red flag’ conditions to enable formulation of comprehensive myopia management plans.
- Part 11 - Binocular Vision and Myopia Control
- Reflection question 11
- Test your learning 11
Ch 13: Prescribing for BV and myopia management
The final chapter discusses myopia control efficacy and visual comfort outcomes in terms of binocular vision, including identification of specific management pathways with seven case studies.
- Part 12 - Prescribing for BV and Myopia Management
- Reflection question 12
- Test your learning 12
Ch 14: Next steps
- Congratulations! You did it! Here's what's next.
fundamental to normal and Myopia vision management
Excellent as always
Always a pleasure. Intellectually challenging, entertaining and eye opening. Fantastic
Perfect online course!
I feel much more confident in taking care of my patients binocular vision after this course. I was doing it before - but now i know even more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is this course eligible for continuing professional educational credits?
This couse has achieved continuing accrediation in:
- UK: 6 hours 6 hours, 6 CET points for Optometrists and Dispensing Opticians. C-100103, C-100104, C-100105, C-100106. C-
- AU: 6 hours 6 self-recorded CPD hours
- NZ: 6 hours 6 general points, ODOB course: 40203
- ZA: 6 hours ODO004/03/04/2021 with 60 MCQs, Level 2 and 6 CEUs.
- US, CA: 6 hours 6 hours COPE approved, Course ID: 68613-GO, Activity ID: 121145
- AU: 6 hours 6 CPD hours, Event ID 90003557
On completion, we will provide a certificate to you for self-recorded continued professional development purposes, which includes the duration of the course and continuing accreditation details for specific countries. We will also provide post-course administration to accrediting bodies where required. Check your country's requirements regarding continuing education.
When does the course start and finish?
The course is available now and never ends! It is a self-paced online course - you decide when you start, and set your own pace.
How long do I have access to the course?
After enrolling you will have unlimited access to this course for as long as you like - across any and all devices you own.