About this course
Myopia Management in Practice is a world-first free online course which covers the scientific basis of myopia management, as well as the crucial translation to clinical practice. In this text-based course, you will be stepped through four key learning portals, each with several shorter interactive text-based modules. Multiple-choice questions are included at the end of each portal to test your learning, along with reflection questions. After you have completed the four portals, the final section provides an array of useful resources to support your learning and clinical journey into myopia management. The four portals are:
- Understand the fundamentals - the basis of why and how of myopia management, presented with easy-to-understand clinical analogies
- Get started in practice - clinical pillars and communication tools for the all important discussions with parents and caregivers
- Myopia control options - spectacle lenses, contact lenses, atropine and how to select the right treatment for the individual patient
- Expand your clinical skills - get to grips with the impact of binocular vision factors in myopia, with a focus on how to assess and prescribe.
NEWLY UPDATED IN JULY 2021 with the latest science and into a new, engaging interactive format! If you've completed the course previously, you can still revisit the course and try the updated version for free.
- AU: Non Optometry Australia members: 4 self-recorded CPD hours
- UK: 4 hours, 4 CPD points for Optometrists, Dispensing Opticians and Contact Lens Opticians. C-100107, C-100108.
- ZA: ODO004/04/04/2021 with 40 MCQs, Level 2 and 4 CEUs
- US, CA: 4 hours COPE approved, Course ID 68700-GO, Activity ID 121146
- AU: Optometry Australia members: Quality Assured for 4 CPD hours, Event ID 90003602
- NZ: 3.75G + 0.25CD points, ODOB course 50039
Dr Kate Gifford PhD
What you will learn
Ch 1: Welcome to Myopia Management in practice
- Welcome to Myopia Management in Practice! Here's what you will learn.
- A message from Kate and Paul
- How to use this course
- Your continuing education
Ch 2: Understand the fundamentals
This chapter covers the clinical reasoning for actively managing childhood myopia, including the foundational understanding of myopia risk, visual environment, efficacy of options and balancing short-term and long-term risks and benefits.
- The why of myopia control
- How myopic dioptres are like IOP
- Why outdoor time matters in myopia management
- Efficacy of myopia management options
- Why binocular vision matters in myopia management
- Contact lens safety in kids
- Balancing short-term and long-term risks of myopia control
- A journey into myopia control
- Reflection question 1
- Test your learning 1
Ch 3: Get started in practice
Three clinical pillars for clinical myopia management commences this chapter, which then moves onto assessing risk for onset and progression, managing parental expectations, axial length measurement, gauging long term success and steps to get started.
- Three clinical pillars for myopia management
- Addressing barriers to contact lenses
- Assessing who is at risk of myopia onset and progression
- Is axial length measurement a clinical necessity?
- Managing expectations at the outset
- Gauging success in myopia management
- Seven steps to get started in practice
- Reflection question 2
- Test your learning 2
Ch 4: Myopia control options
A thorough and clinically accessible scientific review on myopia control interventions - spectacle lenses, soft contact lens options and orthokeratology, and atropine. Clinical decision trees for prescribing conclude this chapter.
- Spectacle lenses part 1 - progressives and bifocals
- Spectacle lenses part 2 - the next generation DIMS and H.A.L.T technology
- Myopia controlling soft contact lenses
- Atropine - a wonder or weak treatment?
- Selecting an option - clinical decision trees
- Reflection question 3
- Test your learning 3
Ch 5: Expand your clinical skills
Binocular vision management is important for identifying myopia risk, as well as ensuring visual comfort and skills for learning in children. This chapter provides guidance, demonstrations and prescribing charts for the binocular vision disorders most relevant to comprehensive myopia management.
- Kids, contact lenses, dry eye and binocular vision
- Changes to BV when moving from specs to contacts
- The esophoric myope and contact lenses
- What about the exophores?
- How to assess near phoria
- How to assess fusional reserves at near
- How to measure near lag of accommodation
- How to measure accommodative facility
- How to prescribe adds for near esophoria
- How to prescribe adds for accommodation lag
- Reflection question 4
- Test your learning 4
Ch 6: More resources and final learning survey
- More resources for you
- Congratulations, you did it! Here's what's next
Everything you need to get started in Myopia Management and more!
Great course for those looking to start doing myopia management but also for those looking to advance the skills they already have. Excellent content and links to further reading. The rabbit hole of myopia control!
Thank you, Kate. You are doing a great job.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is this course eligible for continuing professional educational credits?
This couse has achieved continuing accrediation in:
- AU: 4 hours Non Optometry Australia members: 4 self-recorded CPD hours
- UK: 4 hours 4 hours, 4 CPD points for Optometrists, Dispensing Opticians and Contact Lens Opticians. C-100107, C-100108.
- ZA: 4 hours ODO004/04/04/2021 with 40 MCQs, Level 2 and 4 CEUs
- US, CA: 4 hours 4 hours COPE approved, Course ID 68700-GO, Activity ID 121146
- AU: 4 hours Optometry Australia members: Quality Assured for 4 CPD hours, Event ID 90003602
- NZ: 4 hours 3.75G + 0.25CD points, ODOB course 50039
On completion, we will provide a certificate to you for self-recorded continued professional development purposes, which includes the duration of the course and continuing accreditation details for specific countries. We will also provide post-course administration to accrediting bodies where required. Check your country's requirements regarding continuing education.
When does the course start and finish?
The course is available now and never ends! It is a self-paced online course - you decide when you start, and set your own pace.
How long do I have access to the course?
After enrolling you will have unlimited access to this course for as long as you like - across any and all devices you own.
Is the course really free?
Yes, you can access all of the lessons and content for free. All of the content is already available across the blogs published on the Myopia Profile website. This course just compiles all of this information into a guided learning experience and includes assessment to test your learning.